Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:53:40 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Propane tank concern
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

Your best bet is to remove it yourself. It's not hard, but it is a bit heavy, so be careful. You need a 13mm socket and a long extension and a couple of open end wrenches to disconnect the gas lines. Remove the two bolts on the street side completely, then loosen the two inside bolts about a half inch and you can tip and slide the tank down and out. The mounting bracket is slotted. Best to run the tank empty first, of course.

If the tank itself is in good condition (just light surface rust, and check under any welded on labels) sand and paint it with white or gray DeRusto type paint and take it in to have all the valves with new RV tank valves. The auto-stop fill valve on these is terrible, and prone to corrosion which can cause it to stick open when the fill hose is removed (happened to me). Not a good thing and causes great chaos, and you'll never be able to go back to that filling station. Shutoff, fill and 80% valve should cost around $100 plus installation. Well worth doing, and if you still have the rectangular regulator replace it too.

However, you folks on the east coast where road salt is used may have serious rust.

Stuart Done this twice now on two different vans.