Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 2013 14:04:06 -0700
From:         Scott Ohana <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problem with lock cylinder?
Comments: To: Gilles H Turmel <gilles.turmel@SYMPATICO.CA>

it's completely normal to have to wiggle the streering wheel a little to get the key to turn to unlocked position .. on most cars even.

and ..how much have things been lubed? People can be weird about lubing lock cylinders. I have been lubing them on hundreds of cars for decades..always with fine results.

any mechansim 'never lubed' ..what happens is ....the metal pieces contact each other ..then they sheer molecules of metal off each surface. Any form of half-decent lube prevents actual contact......thus eliminating or really slowing down wear. I am sure there are countless 28 year old lock cylinders on vanagons and other cars that have never seen the tiniest bit of lube since the factory. That is not good for them.

same for the big pin that locks the steering.. for sure that never gets lubed.. even by sneaking in some good penetrating spary lube. And lube applied in the right spots only helps. ( or the horn contact ring while we are in that area )

metal wears when there is metal-to-metal contact. the whole purpose of lubricationis to prevent actual metal-to-metal contact, on any spot or piece that moves in concernt with other parts....they benefit immensely from some lube. Like duh....'somehow' so many people don't seem to see that. Youcan spend $ 10,000 at a shop and they'll never lube the most basic things just crying out for it. and it takes but seconds too. Riddle me that Batman.

there are about 3,000 spots on vanagons to lube in my world. 95 % of them never get any. Beats me why ..it's so easy, and almost free, and so rewarding.

????

On 7/8/2013 1:54 PM, Gilles H Turmel wrote: > Hi, > Sometimes I have a problem unlocking the steering. The ignition key won’t turn. I have to play with the sterring to get it to work. Should I change the lock cylinder or the steerring lock itself? If I change the lock cylinder, can a locksmith change the barrel so I can continue using my original keys? > Best regards. > Gilles Turmel >