Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 2013 18:41:17 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Oil plug
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

perhaps. I'm not saying the stock plug is "too short" but if you use your imagination you could come to that conclusion - ie the stock plug does not use all of the available threads in the case. One could suppose that if the stock plug was longer then the stress per thread would be reduced.

The fact remains that it is a dumb design. Having steel plug in aluminum threads is asking for trouble on a part that is routinely screwed out and in. In my other life, I put in various types of stainless steel threaded inserts into aluminum (and it is mostly 6061 alloy which I think is a bit harder than the engine case) where a stainless bolt is to be used to attach a removable assembly.

alistair