Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 2013 17:58:21 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Propane tank concern
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

At 05:25 PM 7/8/2013, Eric Caron wrote: >I recently decided to try all appliances before heading to West >River Westies next weekend. When I turned on the propane tank I >heard a small air sound and smelled propane. I turned the valve all >the way to open and as I turned the sound got louder. at the full >open position the sound stopped. The smell of propane was still in >the air so I decided not to test the stove after all! I then began >to turn the valve to the off position. On the way there the hissing >sound returned and the sound of propane. When completely in the off >position the hissing continued for a few seconds then the sound and >smell went away. Any thoughts on what is going on? The tank is on >a well cared for van with almost no rust. The tank itself is a bit >rusty more then anything else on the camper.

The packing on the valve stem has dried out. The packing nut needs to be tightened or possibly the valve needs to be re-packed.

However as you observed it only leaks in the intermediate positions. Full-on there's a different seal that keeps the gas in. So go ahead if you haven't time to get it fixed before Thursday.

Don't worry about the smell hanging about, the odorant used for LP gas does that. Evil stuff.

*Do* be aware that the stove knobs have only a light spring pressure keeping them locked in off position, and they are rather easily knocked into an open position. If you start smelling death inside the van your first thought should be those burners, not the bottom of your shoe. It should be possible to devise an insert to slip behind the knobs to prevent this.

Yours, David