Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jul 2013 08:45:51 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday tech question quiz
Comments: To: Scott Ohana <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Well, Scott, there are lots of people in the world. Some learn some things, others learn other things. Admittedly, some never learn very much at all, but some of the people you seem to disparage as good for nothings because of their lack of skills in a particular area are quite good at different things, likely better than you or I would ever be. I've worked in science all my adult life. I've known some scientists who could devise all sorts of devices patterned after Rube Goldberg. Others who only were able to use instrumentation that came from a box, but who could work circles around the other guys when it came to statistics. And I've known some who were excellent theoreticians, but I knew not to introduce them to an instrument unless I wanted it to sit unused or be broken. All made important contributions.

mcneely

---- Scott Ohana <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: > you got it ... > LOOK .....pretend that is in size 30 font. > > lots of people don't 'just look' as a first step. > near as I can tell anyway. > > was talking to a guy today ..owner of a very exotic vanagon . > said his father taught him how things work .. > but never to actually touch them and work on them. > > Smart guy too ...great good smart guy .. > but to take a screw driver to anything , even something pretty simple > ......evidently is foreign to him. > > He has skills I don't most likely too .. > not like I expect everyone to be able to fix things.. > and I am also suprised at what some people believe they can't do. > > Like it never occurs to some people.. > vanagon owners here and theretoo, to tighten a loose screw. Can someone > explain that? ? > lol! > > > > > On 7/12/2013 7:30 PM, Jim Felder wrote: > > Look, Look, Scott. See Scott Look. > > > > Jim > > > > > > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Scott Ohana <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>wrote: > > > >> I'm with you.. > >> you are thinking to hard. > >> I'm after awareness of a very, very basic action that ..appears to me .. > >> people don't even do or think of sometimes.. > >> theyimmediately start thinking about 'what part' or rush to online groups. > >> > >> what is that one action that is a natural and basic first step ? ..so > >> simple ..its' too obvious even, and some people don't think to do it > >> even, apparently tome. > >> or maybe on one is noticing what I notice in postssometimes.. > >> ones like this .. > >> my ( year and version not stated half the time of course )Vanagon does > >> X, what could be causing that ? > >> > >> what basic action does it sound like they didn't do ? > >> one word, 4 letters. > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> On 7/12/2013 6:13 PM, J Stewart wrote: > >> > >>> I can't think of one word, but I do know this after 34 years as a > >>> telecommunications tech and shade tree mechanic: Check the simple stuff > >>> first, don't over complicate things, when troubleshooting something for a > >>> long time and frustrated, walk away for a while, and even if someone else > >>> said they already checked something-check it again anyway! Jeff Stewart > >>> ----- Original Message ----- > >>> > >>>> What is the First Step in diagnosing something ..? > >>>> something not working right. > >>>> the first step, one word, 4 letters. > >>>> It' flat amazing, seems to me anyway..how many times people don't do > >>>> this one basic action as their first step to solving a vanagon issue > >>>> problem. > >>>> one word, 4 letters. > >>>>

-- David McNeely