Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:02:36 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Weekend project: tinted windows

This weekend I "tanned" the windows in my Westy, as my grandson calls it. While there are a couple of things only I would likely notice, the job was not really difficult and makes a huge difference in the internal temperature when the sun is shining.

Before I started this project, I looked up instructions on the internet and those were good. But none were as good as the instructions that came with the tint (gila.com, from my FLAPS). The instructions were so thorough that there is nothing to add to them here.

When you do something like this is one of the times you realize how big the Vanagon really is.

Taking the slider latch hardware off of the side windows for the install was a chance to replace the worn fixtures with some from a later model vanagon with better power coating, and to lube the spring and moving parts so that all works nicely now. For this, don't waste your time with anything other than a ratcheting 90 degree screwdriver with a flat blade. Nothing else will work, no matter how many screwdrivers you own, and this is easy.

Of course, the windows have never been this clean since the car left the factory. I didn't do the driver's rear all the way back, just what I could reach behind the cabinet. The sun hits the curtains there anyway, and I will someday soon be pulling the cabinet for other stuff so I will finish that job then.

One word for Westy owners that tintop owners do not need to concern themselves with: you have to do the rear window from a stepstool with the hatch open, working above your head. The cabinets get in the way otherwise.

I did not take the curtains all the way off, but loosened the screws that hold the top rail, and let the rail fall and then hooked the rail over the latch mechanism on the base of the door. That held everything out of the way during the install. I removed the screws holding down the curtain bottoms and plastic straps, too, to get them out of the way so I could get at the bottom corners. That was standard procedure on all the windows. For the front windows, you only have to pop out the

I managed OK with the tint, but I would suggest not doing this single-handedly as I did. I got lucky. If the sticky surface touches itself during handling, you can just throw that piece away and go get another roll. And it's a big window.

One of the things I learned in this process is the waste of time that glass cleaners and paper towels are. It's just as quick to use the called-for materials for window tinting: a spray bottle of water with 12 drops of dish soap, a squeegee, and a razor blade. This does so much better.

When I asked for lint-free paper towels where I bought the tint, everyone behind the counter said "use newspapers." So I did.

Other than the tint, everything else (squeegee, razor blades, knife, squirt bottle) came from Home Depot.

Jim