Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:38:19 -0700
From:         Mike Miller <mwmiller6@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: List Member Count
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

Count me as a No on FB, also Twitter, and any other 'social network'. Old and curmudgeonly I am. Me and cane rattler. Mike from Cotati ________________________________ From: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 8:20 AM Subject: Re: List Member Count Yes, like John said - the Vanagon List FB page has been around for sometime now, a year or more and was started by a list member. It hasn't had much activity at all until the last week or so - I think there have been maybe 10 - 12 requests to join the group in the last week. I use FB a lot and in many ways some of it's features would be great for this forum. Topics would be in a discussion format - pictures are easily shared, etc. I use FB for several other smaller groups and have 2 different accounts (a personal account and then a sterile nothing too personal account to keep in touch with our marching band kids). FB works great for me. That being said I can see where FB could be a major pain for a group like this. 1) Of the 800 members, I would be willing to say it's possible up to 1/3 of our membership probably avoids FB like the plague.(just a wild guess) 2) As Roger mentioned there is the control factor - things posted on FB are for all intents stored at FB and really "owned" by FB. 3) FB is mostly all or nothing - at least with the list as it is I can easily save the e-mail I want to save and pitch the rest. This list is great really. Sure we have our moments but that comes with any community/family - and of course there is the eternal social vs. technical debate. I think it ebbs and flows (we are in a technical period for sure). It would be nice to have an easier way to share pictures - but I don't think it's a list killer issue - we've gone this far without it  :) Oh, and I have to train myself to stop trying to "like" list postings like I do on FB - man that's a bad sign :) Thanks, Jeff '85 GL (Gertie) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus