Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:20:44 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust leak, header tubes to collector on 2.1 engine
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@yahoo.com>

Thanks for the tip Stephen. I actually thought about grinding down a little of the mating surface to hopefully get them to mate/seal better. I don't have a belt sander so I'd be going freehand with a angle grinder and not sure I'd help more than harm. (they call an angle grinder a "side grinder" down here in the South.) Someone mentioned "muffler paste" and I was searching for that on the FLAPS websites for it when I came across that copper seal. So you used double gaskets and copper seal and it worked?

Edward

At 09:36 AM 7/21/2013, Stephen Grisanti wrote: >You might try a belt sander to even things up on the mating >faces. That suggestion came too late for me to try it when I had >the same problem. I'd already tried what the nearby Advance Auto >guy recommended; PermaTex spray on Copper Seal (you may want to >verify the name) worked for me. I actually had shaved down the >second gaskets so they more closely filled the gaps, then sprayed >heavily the copper stuff. > >Stephen > > >From: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM> >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:24 PM >Subject: exhaust leak, header tubes to collector on 2.1 engine > >Yes, I'm putting it back together now. Where the 2 header pipes join >to the collector, there is not a lot of metal there around the >circular surfaces that must make the seal. I cleaned the surfaces >with wire wheel and used nice new gaskets. I've heard of using >double gaskets there and wondering if that's the best way to proceed >or if there are other suggestions. I wish there was some sort of >sealer that could withstand that environment but I don't know of >one. Thanks for any tips. > >Edward >