Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:16:46 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Running out of castor adjustment
Comments: To: phishman068@GMAIL.COM

At 06:39 PM 7/15/2013, Craig Cowan wrote: >Looks like they got it right! Just took a bunch of cursing. >Thanks guys!

Craig, I think you need to take a careful look at that. If I'm understanding you the adjustment is ending up well over half an inch away from the midpoint, and clearly well beyond what VW contemplated or made allowance for. It's a simple adjustment; it's just setting how far back the lower end of the steering knuckle can ride compared to the upper end, which in theory is fixed fore-and-aft. Half an inch of movement corresponds to around three degrees of caster if my hand-waving is about right. It's controlled by the location of the upper control arm anchors, the lower control arm anchor, and the radius rod anchor, all in the body.

From your description the radius rod isn't long enough to accommodate the necessary dimensions, suggesting that the radius rod or lower control arm mounting might have been shoved forward or the upper control arm mountings aft. But it seems more likely to me that there was a setup problem or the shop was using the wrong numbers.

Yrs, d