Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:14:53 -0400
From:         Bill Monk <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: trailer lights
Comments: To: Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>

I used the kit from GoWesty and wired it in at the taillights. I pulled each wire out of the connector and them wrapped the trailer convertor wire around the base of the connector. Soldered them on and slid shrink wrap over them. I did use a brass brush to clean the connector shiny first. Keep it neat so it will fit back in the connector housing. I ran the wire that needs to go over to the right taillight within high temp split duct that I already had over the factory harness.

Before you do the same thing I am having an issue with not getting enough voltage out of the convertor to have viewable brake lights. I have not had a chance to trouble shoot any further. As I installed the bits only a couple weeks ago and medical issues have kept me out of the garage.

I did make a mistake that I am assuming shouldn't effect it but here is what I did. The GoWesty direction sheet has Vanagon on one size and Eurovan on the other. I wired all except the ground as per the Vanagon side. Then I must have flipped the sheet and wired the ground directly to the body instead of to the tail light ground connector. The Vanagon side instructs

to connect directly to the taillight and the Eurovan side says to connect

directly to the body. I haven't reviewed the Vanagon wire diagram in the Bentley yet or really messed with the brake light circuit before. I just hope the convertor isn't defective. Sent from my On Jul 23, 2013, mat 2:53 mPM, Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET> wrote: