Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jul 2013 21:50:02 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: exhaust leak, header tubes to collector on 2.1 engine
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

I recently installed Dansk front and rear, plus collector, pipe on my syncro. Terrible fit where the flanges meet at the collector. The pipe flanges are not on the same plane, rather they are angled back, like a dihedral. I tried stacking gaskets but no luck, still leaked. I would have to grind off a fair bit of the pipe flanges to make them coplanar. I'm toying with the idea of oxy-acetylene persuasion but probably will try machining an angled "gasket" from mild steel. Meanwhile I used the tube of goop David mentioned (Kleen-flo brand) and a little bit of rolled up ss mesh to fill the gap. Then a bent strip of ss plate to hole the mesh in place and the strip held in place by 2 right angled brackets attached to the flange bolts.

A real kludge if there ever was one. I'm really annoyed by the bad fit of the pipes.

alistair