Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:07:57 -0400
From:         Stuart Fedak <ve3smf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: How often to change Fuel Injectors?
Comments: To: raceingcajun <raceingcajun@communicomm.com>

Well, just got back from a run to pick up some biscuits for the dog. He gets mean when he does not have his treats every day....

The gas smell is gone. So it looks like the changing the fuel lines worked. The actual leak was at the area when the gas feed line entered at the fire wall. What it looks like, the previous owner(s) ran rubber hose from the feed line split to where the plastic part of the firewall used to be. For some reason, they removed the plastic feed line, and used rubber fuel hose. They had joined the two rubber fuel hose sections with a short section of steel gas line. It was filed and sanded at both ends, to remove any sharp edges, but it had started to perforate the rubber fuel line. That was the source of the gas fumes and beginning of a leak. I replaced the section from the fuel filter to the engine compartment with one piece of rubber fuel line.

The clamps on the fuel injector and fuel manifold were very rusted. It was impossible to use a screw driver to remove the screws on the driver side fuel injector/plastic fuel manifold. I just used some fencing pliers to cut off the rusted clamps. They just crumbled. The passenger side fuel injector/plastic manifold was in better condition, but was also original fittings. In handling the unit, one clamp fell off, and the others were basically rusted.

The fuel injectors cleaned up well. I followed the process that John has in his YouTube video for taking the original fittings off the fuel injectors. I ran two batches of brake cleaner through all the fuel senders, using the process in the YouTube video link that I posted before. That worked well. I cleaned up the steel plates that hold the fuel injectors and insert new large and small rubber gaskets.

I had picked up the fuel hose and correct stainless steel hose clamps from Frank C. It was well worth the drive to see Frank, as he gave some good tips. Until I spoke to him, I did not realize that the fuel injectors all fire at the same time. There is no concern with the order the fuel injector wires are hooked up. The other question I had was if the gas tank had to be emptied or lowered. He said no. I had an intact plastic return line, so that was not an issue. The end by the firewall would be above the level of the fuel tank. On the the fuel feed line I made up the same hose clamping pliers that Frank C uses. He has some flat needle nose vice grips, that have clear plastic hose sections on both sections of the flat needle nose ends. Those are used to clamp the feed fuel line. I also replaced the fuel filters.

With all the reports of Vanagon engine fires, I was concerned last Friday when I started to smell gas. There was not much of a leak, but any leak is reason for concern. I just parked the bus until I had all the required parts, and did my research on line. YouTube can be a good source of information, but there can be a lot of miss information. I am a visual learner, so it was good to see the process to take the hose clips off the fuel injectors.

So as long as there is no issues identified with the fuel injectors, it looks like there is no reason to consider replacement.

Thanks to all on the group for the information and tips. I was very pleased to finally meet Frank C. And I plan on going back to stock up up some more consumable items for the bus.

Cheers! Stuart

Sent from my electronic umbilicus