Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:47:49 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump noise? Fuel filters.

Well, I could have done better with this:

At 02:41 PM 7/23/2013, David Beierl wrote: >As a general description though, from the inlet end there's a fine >metal screen across the whole diameter of the pump housing leaving a >little chamber to accumulate crud.

Actually it's plastic, square mesh with about a .005" opening.

> This can be flushed out with >Brakleen spray from the inlet end. Then the pump itself fills the >space for part of an inch, and includes the motor bearing on one >end. It operates something like a vane pump except with little >rollers to provide the seals instead of vanes. It's sealed to the >housing by an O-ring, so it takes in on one side and discharges on >the other, directly into the space occupied by the motor armature and >magnets (which is most of the overall size). At the far end is a >plastic cap also sealed with an O-ring. This contains the motor >brushes, the other motor bearing which is simply four little >extensions of the plastic, and a check valve built into the base of >the outlet nipple. This cap is pressed into the aluminum cup which >forms the rest of the housing and the lip of the cup is crimped around it.

Yes. Well, sorta somewhat. There's an O-ring sealed anodized aluminum base containing the rather fancy inlet nozzle, an overpressure relief valve that lets the pump recirculate back to the inlet if the outlet is plugged, and a 6-mm steel shaft that extends clear to the plastic cap. What I was calling the bearing in that cap is simply a locator for this shaft on which all the moving parts turn.

Bolted to the base is a 4-mm thick plate which is the pump body, and another 4-mm cover plate with a plain punched outlet nozzle. The rotor and rollers turn inside these. The multiple drive holes in the rotor that you can see at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/737082-inside-failed-fuel-pump.html are filled by a plastic coupler with four prongs on its other end. They engage a pair of thick prongs on the end of the motor armature which has a steel sleeve bearing at each end. The armature is retained on the shaft by a couple thin washers and a circlip.

There, I feel better now.

Yours, David