Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jul 2013 15:53:57 -0700
From:         Stephen Engel <sengel543@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      LVC - TDI metal shavings in fuel system

Greetings Listees,

Last Friday my 2010 Golf TDI (2.0L) started flashing the glow plug light and promptly stalled. Got towed to the nearest dealer (Reydel in Edison, NJ). They looked at it Monday and found metal shavings in the fuel filter and high pressure fuel pump (HPFP). They replaced the auxiliary pump, HPFP, filter, injectors, rail, and a bunch of hoses; basically the whole fuel system from tank to head. I got the car back yesterday and it seems to have more pep, smoother operation, and noticeably better fuel mileage. I was still under warranty, so there was no direct cost to me, but my confidence is shaken.

Do any of you gurus have any knowledge of this problem? My research (VW Vortex, Diesel Dig) so far reveals that this is not uncommon, especially on 2009-10 model years. The Ford 6.2 L Diesel seems to suffer this problem too. I think there is a Vanagon TDI group that I'll reach out to. Can anybody suggest any other forums?

I still have 20,000 miles left on my warranty, so there isn't a need to dump the car immediately, or is there? I hate to think my VW-hating "friends" are right.

Steve 87 Syncro GL

PS It took AAA 3 hours to pick me up on Rt 514 in Edison, hardly the boonies by any stretch. I took refuge in the shadow of a telephone pole.