Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:01:37 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: adding a new dash A/C unit?

SmallCar's description says:

"The air is recycled interior air so the A/C is most effective. Outside air can be introduced with the windows if desired."

As for size, I am really only concerned with cooling the people in the 2 front seats, with priority given to cooling the passenger seat area. I have found a unit that will fit inside the dash in the large open space hidden above the glovebox. It does not intrude on the glovebox space itself. It has the vents right on it's face, with the controls to the left of them so driver and pass can both reach them. It will require a large rectangle cut into the dash face for it to protrude through. I don't want the A/C cooled air to be outside air, I just want outside air to be available the rest of the time through the stock vent system, not only through the windows. It is 14,000 btu and 300 CFM. It looks like the retail parts cost for the whole new system would be about $800, dash unit, compressor, fittings, hoses, condenser, dryer, etc. I may decide to spend $600 more on the special tools to make my own hoses from the parts since I will want to duplicate the effort on several vans.

Mark

Dennis Haynes wrote: >..... > Bring money! The Small car set up is based on one of these solutions. What > their solution does offer is the ability to bring fresh air in and condition > it when needed with heat or cooling. Actually with the blend system you can > use some of both to also reduce humidity just like most modern cars. When > looking at these choices you do need to consider capacity. Some are only 1 > ton, (12,000 btu.) which is not adequate for a Vanagon especially when bring > in outside air. > > Dennis >