Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jul 2013 14:56:51 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: adding a new dash A/C unit?
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Mark,

I have been dealing with Vanagon AC systems for years and years. I have also installed two aftermarket systems with varying results. The first system I installed was made by a company in Florida which is Gillmore Enterprises if I remember correctly. http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/

This system went into a 67 VW Bus and it actually worked great! It used a new compressor that only took 1hp off of the engine, and it mounted the evaporator under the bus. I set this system up without too much hassle and as far as I know it is still working down in the Caribbean today.

The second one we did was in a Vanagon with a Subaru conversion. http://www.europeancoolerair.com/cooler.htm It was a split system with front and rear AC units. The customer had already bought it and spent a bunch of money on the system before I even entered the picture. We were to install it into a 90 Westy with the Subaru conversion (already installed). It was a Canadian Westy so it had never had AC before. The manufacturer told the customer when he sold it that install would take 10 hours.

The quality level was just fair. The system used a small evaporator in the front that mounted above the glove box. This unit put out cold air but the biggest problem we had with it was the fan. It would grind against the housing unless you had it at the perfect angle. Since you are driving down the road, hitting bumps, and turning, this "perfect angle" was almost always not there and it would make noise and grind more than not. When I called the kit maker he knew about the problem and gave me some vague instructions on how to "fix" it. Really it was a design flaw so unless I got to redesign the front evap housing, the problem was never going to go away.

The rear evaporator was huge and also put out a lot of cold air. However the problem back here was that the housing was so big that it not only filled the entire rear cabinet but there was no room for the rear speakers in the cabinet to live there any longer. Again, another design flaw in the housing which was not mentioned at all in the instructions, but was well known by the kit builder. We modified the housing to allow for the speakers, but I never really got as good air flow out of the rear housing as I would have liked. It didn't use the large diffuser that the late model Westies used, instead being more like the earlier stock Westy versions with just generic car vents.

The amount of time to do the install on this kit was over 30 hours! You heard me right, 30 hours! The customer was upset when I told him it was going to be 20 hours (before we were done) and insisted that the kit manufacturer said that it would only take 10 hours for a "skilled" mechanic to install the kit. I am very skilled, I have been doing conversion type work on Vanagons for almost 15 years now. Not sure how much more skill you are going to need but I wanted this install so that it worked great and looked stock. My Dad is a professional carpenter and he helped me modify the rear cabinet and the van body to allow for the wiring, the hoses, and installing the evaporators. All of these mods take time to do right and look good when you are finished. The kit maker encouraged me to take short cuts just to get it done in the 10 hours. So if you are going to do this job, I think it would be better to do it yourself. Paying someone to do it would either be really expensive or that person would take a loss on it and probably not want to see you pull into his shop again.

When it was all said and done, it worked decent, however since I had over 10 hours of extra labor that I wasn't going to get paid for, it didn't work well enough to really make me happy. The customer didn't like the fact that the front evaporator fan made noise randomly, didn't get ice cold, etc. So neither of us were really happy with it once it was done, and I am not really looking forward to doing another one. I would never install one of those crappy front evaporator housings again and since that is what makes the whole thing unique, I would probably not want to do this again.

I looked to Blake's page and his AC evaporator/heater unit is different as it replaces the center heater box and the one we did installed to the passenger side of it. Maybe if I were going to attempt this again I would try that unit. But I am not as anxious to try as I once was.

Hope this helps you out.

Ken Wilford

John 3:16

www.vanagain.com