Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jul 2013 07:27:50 -0700
From:         Paul Rogers <wognacious@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What Oil to Use on Startup?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thanks to all of of you who chimed in. I should have clarified some info on the engine. The guy I got it from is a mechanic and former Vanagon owner. He put this brand new engine, at the time, in his van but had to pull it after 800 plus miles because it was going through lots of oil. So he pulled this one and put another one in his van. Opened this one up and found it had a bad ring or rings. Fixed the problem but never used it again. And now I've got it. There is a very small amount of oil in it but not enough to show on the dipstick. Actually I bought the long block and I'm using the necessary parts from my 1.9 on this 2.1. So I'm almost ready to fire it up but being it hasn't been run in a year or two I wanted to be cautious about the initial start up and not waste $30 or so of Mobil1 in the event there are complications. Thanx again and any sage advice about this initial start up would be gratefully appreciated. I've got a fair amount of $$ invested and would hate to do something to muck it up. My plan is to crank it over without spark or gas until the oil pressure builds up and then go for it. I installed an OP gauge too. Paul in Tracy

Sent from my iPad