Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jul 2013 20:37:57 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump noise? Fuel filters.
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I don't think you are right, Dennis. The motorcycle that filter was used on has more HP than the Vanagons or my inline Jetta motor. The inlet and outlet are the same size as the post-pump filterr.. The gas flow has to be similar between a 900cc high-performance motorbike at 32O lbs and a ~2000cc vehicle weighing 4000lbs.

The larger diameter of the moto-filter cannister leads me to guess there is more surface area in the filter element, hence less restriction than those tiny little square filters some Vanagons have, especially as it does it's job and collects crud on the element....... It must have about 10 times the internal volume, compared to the Vanagon one...again guessing on the math.

Whatever...it will likely filter out dead mice from the tank, or rust or crap from Mexican Pemex pumps or other possible 'pump busters'...Seems to work for me, and I have had plenty of experience with poor gasoline, filters, motorbikes, etc..

When I change out this one, coming due this fall, I will probably just find one in one of the racers supply catalogs or online.. Fuel pumps are pricey...filters are pretty cheap.. I don't like the plastic ones, being exposed to road debris as they are on the Vanagon...

I agree on checking the pump mounting..make sure there is good isolation from the frame, etc. And....remember, sound travels very well indeed through liquid...so isolating ( with some sort of rubber mounting ) your post-pump filter might help with the noisy FP also...