Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:20:13 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Checking pressure cap function???

A quick way to check the integrity of the head and gasket on the 1.8 inline...maybe even give you an idea if the pressure bottle and cap is working is this.

Remove the hose between the pressure bottle and the overflow tank and also pull the sparkplugs....easy as pie on the inline motor. Put some compressed air to the end of that hose, back through the pressure reservoir cap and into the pressure bottle. I set my outflow compressed air at 25psi....Then take a listening device...stethoscope or a tube of some sort that you can listen with near the open sparkplug holes, and listen (and/or look) for escaping coolant going into the cylinders...Be careful to not drop dirt or anything else inside there. Mine, when I first brought it home, I blew my own headgasket with a bone-headed coolant change, being totally unfamiliar with Vanagons and their cooling system.... I could easily hear the leaking headgasket, with 'hissing' coming from a slight leak between the two front cylinders' s plug holes. Mine also blew a hose with that leaking headgasket and the temperature gauge wasn't reading hot at the time...The hose coming off the top front of the head..

Couple of more things: If you recently changed the motor, go back and review how you have run the coolant connections and hoses...The system is not at all straight forward, in fact it seems downright weird the way my hoses are hooked up. I got my van already done, so I never had to actually figure out the system, but when I swapped over to my 2.0l ABA Jetta block (keeping my 1.8l head) I had to adapt my hoses for the oil cooler/filter heat exchanger. I sort of tried to understand how it all was supposed to flow but I gave up after a short while because I didn't really "need to know". I just re-cobbed it up, following what was already there, for the most part..A couple of the hoses, I have no idea why they go where they go, but the system has caused me no problems for about 3yrs now and countless miles....It was like a jig saw puzzle trying to find pieces of hose from my box of hoses from both my motors...hose-sections that would take the coolant into and our of that oil filter heat exchanger without altering the flow of the cooling system hook-up. Make sure you've bled the system with the heaters open. Make sure you didn't connect the rear heater hose end to end to eliminate the rear heater. I made a gravity device to top up the coolant in my '84s' radiator (Bus Depot replacement, happy with that one) right at the bronze bleed screw at the top. A piece of steel brake line fits down into the threaded hole where the air bleed is at the top of the rad. With some creative bending and a funnel I add coolant up there, watching the air bubble out around the steel brake line till it's all coolant. I do that a couple of days after messing with my cooling system. I drove Portland to Yuma and back, with my leaking headgasket...topping up the rad like that every two tanks of fuel...

I re-surfaced my own head using sandpaper and a flat surface...been perfectly good now for 65k miles. Took me about an hour to flatten the head surface and maybe 5 more hrs to remove and replace. Put in an aftermarket camshaft while you have the head off...Check the VW Vortex pages for good info on inline VW gas motors.. good luck, Don Hanson