Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Aug 2013 17:28:45 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power issues? Fuel issues?
Comments: To: Geneva Saint-Amour <genevasaintamour@HOTMAIL.COM>

It 'could' be a fuel pressure or delivery issue ...'could' be . and may'seem like it's not getting gas' ....

and other things can produce the same system. a failure to want to go 'fullout' makes me think of Limp Mode.

I don't know about your Zetec engine..but some OBD-II engines will do exactly that without a good Vehicle Speed Sensor input.

Are any codes set ? Have you considered glogged or restricted muffler or cat .? or thought about oxygen sensors carefully..? if it is throttle-by-cable to you check that it gets full throttle ? If it has a throtteposition switch ..what is the status of that part or adjustment ? or ..same thing for a Knock Sensor .. and other things , including wiringand grounds.

I am under the impression that Zetec engine conversions have a direct link to'The Vatican' ...namely Bostig . They even flash ecu's remotely perhaps .. of if not that, close to it.

You may notice there's seldom everanyone on this list posting, that has a Zetec. I figure that's because .they have zero issues ever .. or they just arn't interested in talking about vanagon issues.. or they are tied in so directly to Bostig they do all their posting and feeback there- with the mother ship bostig.

don't know what 'aluminm blockage' is in a fuel filter. But I do know they have to be fairly clean, mounted in the correct direction .. and have suffecient fuel pressure and delivery flowing through them.

I doubt this is happening .. more of a winter thing ....seldom ever considered even by pro's ..the fuel itself. 99 % chance the fuel you have in it is ok.. but consider everything. I've found water in Vanagon fuel tanks, even in summer. Water in gasoline, while very rare ...causes odd symptomssuch as you describe.

heck ...just a collapsing hosecan do what you are discribing. I know a guy who spend months chasing a power problem on an engine covnersion .. finally he had someone look over the back seat while he drove ...collapsing hose that was under suction by the turbo.

it goes on and on . I saw one waterboxer engine in a Westy sold by a well-known vanagon speicalist vendor .. The engine installer put a too-large intake boot on a smaller 1.9 throttle body.. they used a piece of radiator hose ( which will turn to goo in the presence of heat/oil/fuel fumes etc. ) ...as an adapter piece. By luck I happen to catch that hose laying sideways in the throttle body. Someone could have spent hours and hours chasing a low power problem ..since it's not something one would ever expect to see.

Dig deeper ! Scott

On 8/4/2013 9:14 AM, Geneva Saint-Amour wrote: > Hello list-I am running a Ford Ztec Bostig conversion, manual transmission, 1985 Westfalia/AW hybrid. > I need assistance please. Last weekend I asked if anyone knew about the aluminum "blockage" inside a new fuel filter. As you may have guessed, we were changing that out. This weekend we changed ALL the fuel lines AND installed a new fuel pump. The issue persists. At 4,000 RPM (on the gauge) the power drops as if there is not enough fuel to the motor. Climbing a hill becomes slower than ever before. Help!Geneva and MikePrescott, AZ >