Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 2013 22:13:08 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery Charger Sizing (Amperage) Woe and Warning (?)
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

I am certainly no authority when it comes to DC electrics and chargers and solar but I've been around lots of RVers who are and are always willing to give me advice. The general gist of the advice is to charge a deep cycle battery you need a lot of amps going in...and Smart Chargers (so called) aren't usually great for that...

I have a smart charger that won't work in our travel trailer's electrics (two deep cycle batteries)....Neither will the panel charger that is onboard that older trailer...doesn't supply enough amps(?)...but when you hook up a vehicle's alternator to the batteries, they charge right up...Or, if I hook up my old manual battery charger (Schumacher) to the trailer's generator and put that to the batteries, they charge right up...My brand new smart charger....won;t do it.... the new solar panel I just bought cheap charges the batteries in about half a sunny day from 11v back to full charge... Someone will know the numbers and tell you what you need...but you need lots of amps like an alternator puts out to 'bust through' into your deep cycle battery and get it to charge.