Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Aug 2013 09:43:05 -0400
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Broken digital clock
Comments: To: ANTONY MARSH <apetermarsh@mac.com>

David is somewhat serious when he says to restore power to it. I believe that the clock is the only thing in the instrument cluster that has power all the time. This means that there is a separate terminal on the big connector just to supply +12v to the clock. Corrosion there may be causing a "blockage of electrons". In any event you will have to pull the cluster. By carefully studying the foil, etc. on the back and the connections to the clock you can find the clock power connections. It should run if connected to a 9v battery. This test, repeated after extracting the clock from the cluster will tell you for sure whether it is deceased. If you have access to a pick-n-pull type auto recycling yard, look for clocks in Rabbits and Jettas of early 90's vintage. One of those clocks is running in my '91 GL . Just a slightly different color.

Larry A.