Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Aug 2013 22:45:11 -0700
From:         Tom Boldway <jboldway@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Rocky Mountain Westy storage/Propex box install pictures

Ok, I installed a Propex inside a Rocky Mountain Westy locking storage box in my 84 Westy. If you are installing a Propex make sure you order storage box with the Propex mods and false floor/Propex cover!

Read about different pressure needs of stove/fridge versus propex so figured rather than monkey with regulators and hoses everywhere - install a second propane tank! So, a suitable donor was found for cheap (missing the gauge/fill protector guard though) locally and bolted to the studs already in place on the passenger side under the door for the rear two mounts. The front two needed to have the flooring lifted up but there were already marks under the van as to where to drill for the studs. hardest part was tracking down a 1/4" copper hose to the propane regulator on the tank as I removed the existing splitter. Neither ACE nor Lowes had the fitting so I had to go to a propane outfitter in the city.

Everything went very smoothly, I measured many many times before cutting the two holes in the floor for the propex burner intake/exhaust and the hole for the 1/4" brass propane hose. Use a hole saw but first drill just the pilot hole to check for fit before drilling the full size hole with the hole cutter! When installing the false floor after the box is installed I found it was easiest to get the bigger flooring piece in by removing the lock. That took just a few seconds.

The thermostat was mounted to the top of the pillar at the front of the sliding door (I forgot to take a picture of that - will do so later)

Here's a link to the pictures of the install. I though the Rocky Mountain Westy box was extremely well made and fit perfectly. The hinged lid just clicks shut and the whole unit is incredibly strong. There's absolutely ZERO worry of the box getting damaged or the cover not fitting. You could jump up and down on this with no worries. The coating they use (powder coat) is incredibly durable. They don't mention it anywhere in their info - but it makes a fantastic step to get to the upper bunk and doubles as a seat when camping or a place to put stuff like hot food if you cook outside. The slanted wall next to the door was a perfect place to mount the fire extingusher that had to be removed from the door pillar. I'll add a photo of that later.

Pictures: http://www.pbase.com/spacecommander/propex

Tom

'79 Mercedes 300SD "Green Hornet" '84 Westy Vanagon "Spiny Norman" '86 Alfa Romeo Spider "Dinsdale" '98 Mercedes E320 wagon "Silver Hornet"