Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:04:35 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Paint job pricing

Jim,

How many hours of labor did you spend doing this?

Marc

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > Just for reference, I recently painted everything on my westy's exterior > myself with high-quality single step paint. I did not do the front as I had > that done by Maaco right after I got the car. I replaced all but two window > seals (they were fairly new), did some seam runs control, painted door > jambs, did some minor but needed bodywork, soundproofed as I went, and > tinted all the windows but the front. Total cost with window rubber about > $700, including all paint, thinner, dryer, tape, paper, peel-n-seal, etc. > Paint was $150 or $200 (I did this over almost a year, so I forgot whether > I used three quarts or four). > > I am very happy with the job as is the general public if judged by the > increased number of peace signs, honks, thumbs up and gas station gawkers. > I am also very happy with the CLUNKS that the doors make when they close as > well as the silence of the sliding door as it is closing. I spent some care > and time on that one. > > Jim > > > On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Marc Perdue <mcperdue@gmail.com> wrote: > >> I will be doing this soon for my van ('87 Westy). It is currently in a >> different shop that specializes in getting rid of all the rust in old >> VWs. After de-rustifying it, I'll be taking it to a different shop to >> get painted. I too am planning on replacing all the window rubber. >> >> I always liked the look of the later vans with the poptop painted the >> same color as the body, so I'll likely do that. In addition, I'm >> thinking of finding a nice VW blue color and changing the van's color >> completely on the outside. Since it's that gold-ish color, with gray >> interior, I'll leave the inside the original color. >> >> The PPO had an accident in the van one time (no, not THAT kind of >> accident) and had the back hatch door painted. The clear coat >> de-laminated from the color coat and water would get in it, looking >> like a sun-burn blister. I could never tell which was the original >> color, because there are at least 5 different shades of gold-ish on >> the van in different places. Soon to be fixed!!! >> >> This is one van that's getting a renewed lease on life! >> Marc >> >> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: >> > One of the biggest factors in the expense of painting anything is >> getting >> > to a surface that is ready to hold your new paint. Any tiny bit of old >> > paint that hasn't been properly worked over, that is a potential spot >> where >> > your NEW paint will come loose, wrecking the whole job and making it time >> > to 'start over'...If the paint lifts in one small spot, you can count on >> > other spots being iffy, too. >> > >> > Taking off the old paint with any chemical is likely to leave a residue >> > that will compromise the new paint. Sanding seems the only way to >> assure a >> > good bond...I would much rather have a vehicle to paint that has old thin >> > dull rust or whatever than one that some PO rattle-canned or >> > Plasti-coated.... >> > I don't think there is any 'short-cut'...One simply has to be really >> > meticulous about preparing for new paint....if you aren't, it will lift, >> > peel, or whatever....then you can do it again or just leave it... >> > >> > >> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Tom Carchrae <tom@carchrae.net> wrote: >> > >> >> While we are on the topic of paint, it appears that someone once >> painted my >> >> van with a water based paint, a close match (aside from being duller) to >> >> the original paint. When I wash the van, I get this white residue >> coming >> >> off. >> >> >> >> The dull look is ok, but I'm a bit worried about doing any painting >> over it >> >> so wonder what would be the best way to remove it - warm water and soap >> >> works slowly. The shiny area of original paint showing around the gas >> tank >> >> cap indicates a gasoline soaked rag would be quicker. >> >> >>