Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:55:28 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Help: Howto replace westy propane regulator with busdepot
              aftermarket

Thanks for pmail tips on the propane regulator replacement. Some cut and flare new joints. Some bends. I ended up taking out my flaring tool but it is a bubble flare. Not sure if that would have worked on the propane lines. So I didn't cut but bent the lines a bit instead.

New regulatr was a tight fit. To have the vent face down I had to put the peaky spring part rigth against the propane tank, the bottom of the regulator and the lower propane line touches the guard plate under.

Job took about 1/2h once I decided what course of action to take.

Martin

________________________________ From: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:30:47 AM Subject: Help: Howto replace westy propane regulator with busdepot aftermarket

Hi,

My '82 Westy has the original propane regulator. It developed a small leak in the membrane. (can sometimes hear hiss and smell propane on a still day). We're off on a trip this weekend, so hope to exchange the regulator after work today.

I got the bus depot replacement regulator.

Hope someone can help me with some answers before I start tearing things apart:

1. Can someone conform that the threads on the tank side and the appliance side match on the bus depot regulatr (so I don;t need to buy any extra adapters).

2. The busdepot regulator is a bit longer. I heard many succeded fitting it by slightly bending the two propane lines to the stove and fridge. Any tips how to bend without kinking?

3. The new regulator doesnt have a splash cover. Did you orient it in a specific way? (It has the mesh screen for the venting which one might want to point downward, but out of the way of road spray. Then the pressure adjustment screw becomes hard to reach. Hopefully the pressure is set right so no need to

Anyone did a writeup or pics of the replacement? please email a link.

Other tips are welcome.

Thanks, Martin and '82 Westy 1.9TD Poppie