Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:36:04 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front blower for defrost...
Comments: To: David Bohannan <fjazzbass@gmail.com>

You have to remove the dash. It isn't very hard. It will take a while the first time, you will then be able to get it out in half an hour or 45 minutes. The problem, timewise, is that while it is out, you will want to do everything you can that needs doing and that can add up to quite a few things--cleaning, adjusting flaps, putting new foam on flaps to keep heat/cold out of the cabin, etc.

And then there is the motor. It is sitting inside of a plastic clamshell the size of a small suitcase. If it has never been opened before, it takes a bit of work with a hammer and chisel or durable putty knife. When the case is split in half yu can get the heater core out and you can remove two more screws, I think, and get the motor out.

Then you have to lubricate the motor or get another one. I take them all the way apart and do that, they then run for a long time.

Then you have to find a way to get the plastic case back together. The dealer and some online vendors use metal clips made for the purpose. I have used those as well as small zipties that go into holes drilled in the many tabs around the edges. If you have a late model van (don't know if your 85 qualifies) you remove the grill to get to two of the heater box bolts from the front. Early models like mine you get to them from inside the car, a real PITA.

Jim