Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:25:58 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge sealant
Comments: To: ddbjorkman@verizon.net

My guess is that dum dum or plumbers putty should be fine to seal those points. That said, I don't recall any sealant on the black tube where it exits hole inside fridge.

The thermostat sensor pipe won't change temp much, or at all, but the black cooling pipe will obviously get cold. Still, I can't see that being an issue. If you decide to seal the black pipe at inside of fridge, I can't speak to the chemical content of this stuff, and food in fridge but if it was my fridge, I wouldn't worry. But that's just me. :)

I doubt you've done this, but if you removed the aluminum cooling unit, it press fits onto the black cooling tube. When installing it, make sure LH end does NOT get pushed onto the lip at end of tube! This will damage the part and make a gap between the parts (you don't want that) You can sort of see that lip in my image, and, you'll see the OEM putty:

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/DometicPics#5352844996974234498

No adhesive is required per se, but, as Jim points out there should be some kind of conductive paste. You only need enough to fill the gaps between these parts. Too much paste might, to some degree, insulate each part from the other.

This link etc. is very likely in the Vanagon archives but Roger Sisler has a bunch of images and info here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/werksforwagens/sets/72157594499353583/

Maybe some hints on what you need to know are there?

Neil.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:13 AM, David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@verizon.net> wrote: > I posted earlier and got no reply, so I'm trying again. > I would like to know what is the proper putty or goop to close up pipe and > wire ports in a dometic fridge. I had to remove the putty inside the fridge > around where the refrigerant pipe comes through and a dab where the > thermostat line comes through the back of the fridge. What is the common > wisdom about what to replace it with? Is plumbers putty OK or is something > else supposed to be used? > Any help would be appreciated. > > Dave B.

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej