Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Aug 2013 01:36:45 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Broken down travelers need help ASAP
Comments: To: Stephen Engel <sengel543@yahoo.com>

At 01:16 AM 8/17/2013, Stephen Engel wrote: >Bravo David! That'll get you a nomination for this years' Knight in >Shining Armor Award for sure (if such a thing exists).

Bill more than me. A lot more. But it took us both.

The scaffold, incidentally...Bill had some very stiff shrink connectors with a solder bead in the middle. Some exotic phone company thing I suspect. I heat-stripped the wires right back flush to the connector body. The two outer wires were in very shaky shape a quarter inch away from the body. These shrink connectors fitted down inside the connector body and I shrank the parts that protruded; the solder melted and reinforced the wires at the breaks, and we now had the equivalent of some very stiff insulated wires. Regular nylon-sleeved butt-crimp connectors fitted over the shrunken ends of these, joining them to ten inches or so of new wire leading to the harness which I cut back far enough to be reasonably flexible. Once all was assembled and tested good, we rigidly cable-tied the connector body and the butt-crimps to a tongue depressor with the end cut flat, using the fancy ties with steel tongues that bite into the tie and don't ratchet. This effectively made a rigid assembly where the flex only begins at the new flexible wire, which we dressed out along the top of the A/C compressor.

Yours, David