Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Aug 2013 00:06:19 -0400
From:         A J <flavanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How bad is it to have dual carbs instaed if the FI on an 84

Thanks for the info all. Just to be clear I really can spell but my typing leaves much to be desired. To clarify the carb issue -- Im not converting to carbs but am looking at a van to purchase and it has already been converted to carbs. I know that FI is better and all, my 87 Vanagon is FI and runs well at 247,000 but I dont believe carbs are all that bad and honestly I am much more familiar with carbs. As a teenie in the very late 50s carbs were all there was and we had some tire smoking, nice revving and really quick cars, all carbs. I was primarily concerned about the electronics and what to expect. It looks as most of,if not all the electronic controls are gone. I wouldnt have a problem with the carbs and adjustments but am wondering about the distributor and timing, things like that. I am trying to get more info on things like that to save me time on trial and error and havent been able to find much material on carbed vans. Its still not a done deal on the van and Im just trying to get as much info so I can be comfortable either buying or passing on it. Stuff like would it be better to open the pillar vents as much as possible and use a sort of ram tube system for the carbs? Like each carb having its own cold air tube connected to the pillar each pillar vent for the carb on that side. Will these motors take timing advanced and how much. Can the dist operate with a vacuum advance set on a curve higher than the one set for the FI or will that just trash the motor? I dont have to worry about emissions or state inspections/controls so that is a non issue for me. Its just a matter of should I get it to have something for light tinkering (rebuilding the carbs and setting the timing,etc I consider light tinkering)which I dont mind at all or are the odds more like is is going consume gobs of time and bunches of bucks and never actually run out decent and reliable neither are favorable to me. I have no plans of any major journeys with this van should I buy it so I dont see an issue like rejetting the carbs. Thanks again all the posts are appreciated and I have garnered a bit of info, like maybe look into the Brits sites and see what I can find about the carbed motors. I just figured I would check because for all the years I have been a member of this list it seems like the people on this list have done it all and maybe someone had a carbed unit that could offer some advice Thanks again everyone,

A J