Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Aug 2013 09:41:54 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: How bad is it to have dual carbs instaed if the FI on an 84

Well, I'm an old carb guy as well, and have rebuilt hundreds over the years.  As Ken said, inspection and emissions is probably the biggest single hurdle to overcome.  It is very difficult to pass emissions (at least here in AZ) with just the idle "sniff test" when using carbs.  With the newer dyno/load test, it is impossible with an air cooled motor, and would probably be nearly so with water-cooled.  The carbs would have to be jetted precisely for your locale, synchronized precisely, and you'd have to jockey the timing around, using an exhaust gas analyzer, to get it just right to pass - then rejet and time to run properly. BTDT.  Also, as previously mentioned, carbs don't adjust for atmospheric pressure very well.  They do adjust, to an extent (downdraft's, not suction piston types), since the changes in the density of the air, and viscosity of the airstream changes the suction available from the venturi, and adjusts the amount of gas pulled through the jets.  But in reality, if you're living in Florida, and then take a trip over and through the Rockies, you'll want to carry a selection of jets with you, and re-jet at the high altitudes if you want any power. You'll also need one of these: http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/4025/10002/-1?parentProductId=743621 Keeping the linkage in top shape, and the carbs sync'd properly is crucial to decent performance.  While I've never used dual carbs on a water cooled VW motor, I've used SU's and Hitachi side-drafts on water cooled I-4's, and Solex's, Webers, and DeLorto's on 2L air cooled vans over the years. It's a PITA, with the only real upside being that they are easy to work on (not the side-draft suction piston styles though), cheap to maintain, and you already have them installed (they gaskets will have dried up and died if it's been sitting long enough for the gas to evaporate from the carbs, and they will need rebuilt).  As far as overall performance, gas mileage, maintenance time required, and emissions, FI has them hands down.  You *can* get more HP from the carbs than from stock FI if you know what you're doing (few do anymore given how long FI has been around), but it will come at the expense of gas mileage, and driveability under less than WOT operation, so it's really not practical.  Unless you're drag racing stock vans :-) Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin) >> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM, A J <flavanagon@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> Hello all, >>> I am looking at a van it is an 83 or maybe an 84 but it is water=20 >>> cooled,and it seems to have been converted to dual carbs from the=20 >>> fuel injection. Im not sure if such was available factory so I am=20 >>> wondering if I am going to be in for a bunch of hassles? It doesnt=20 >>> looked butchered or anything but it is weird to open the hatch and=20 >>> look at dual carbs with little individual air filters and a=20 >>> connecting rod connected from the accelerator linkage to a long=20 >>> pivit rod that connects both carbs. Im not positive but it kind of=20 >>> looks like a dual carb setup that would be on an aircooled. >>> With just a quick look around it seems like some of the wiring and = "boxes" >>> that are on my 87 arent on this at all. Was told it did run fine but = >>> has been sitting. Am I asking for a whole big bag of troubles if I=20 >>> do go on and buy this van? >>> I personally wouldnt have a concern about the carbs other than would = >>> they be more of a hassle and is there a power loss/increase. Can=20 >>> anyone enlighten me with the pros and cons with this setup? Im=20 >>> thinking without the electronics all over the engine it may be a=20 >>> more reliable,less costly motor to care for but Im just guessing. = Any input/opinions appreciated. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> A J