Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:13:22 -0500
From:         Andrew Philbrick <philbrickvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: help needed in Anchorage, AK

Some tips on the water pump replacement.

I'm assuming it is the same 1.6 NA (or even 1.6 turbo) diesel engine that was in the Rabbit/Golf, so here is what I learned when changing the water pump on my 81 Rabbit Diesel. There are two ways I found to go about it.

Prep - remove the alternator and air conditioning pump (if equipped) and brackets. The water pump bracket has 4 bolts holding it to the engine case - two upper and two lower. The issue becomes getting the two upper bolts off.

Option 1 - Remove the injection pump to access the water pump housing. It is pretty straight forward from there (just remove/clean/replace everything) However, this may not be ideal as you will need to reset the injection pump timing (I'm not sure if you or the travelers have the tools to set the pump).

Option 2 - Get a 13mm "S" curved wrench (like the one shown here - http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/SXT-994002M_xl.jpg) The angle of this wrench will allow you to get at the two upper bolts holding the water pump housing to the engine case - even with the injection pump still in. Small but steady turns to get it free.

If you go with option 2 (as I did when replacing my water pump), there is still plenty of room to clean the block and hand turn the bolts.....just can't get the angles with a normal wrench.

Hope this helps.

Andrew