Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:25:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: How bad is it to have dual carbs instaed if the FI on an 84
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

which does not apply to the discussion at hand.. non-smog aftermarket dual carbs on a vanagon.

most likely it is a bare-bones installation with no smog complication at all.

and yes....the very end of carbs ....they were quite badand complex. See Honda too. They work well though. Notoriously ...the 'electronic feedback' carb was the last step ..a missetp even ... in going from carb to EFI.

if it was Friday I'd ask what SU ( the carb brand) stands for, but it's not fridae, and that's an old trivia question anyway.

carb-smarb. sometimes...user. Mostly .........no.

and if I had the time to mess around..I am quite sure I could retro-fit subaru sequential, distributorless, knock sensor EFI and igntion to a waterboxer engine.

it's all fun, S. On 8/22/2013 1:52 PM, David Beierl wrote: > At 12:41 PM 8/22/2013, Keith Hughes wrote: >> the biggest single hurdle to overcome. It is very difficult to pass >> emissions (at least here in AZ) with just the idle "sniff test" when >> using carbs. With the newer dyno/load test, it is impossible with >> an air cooled motor, and would probably be nearly so > > I had an '86 Corolla, which I think was the last year for that model > before they threw in the towel and went to fuel injection. The > carburetor was so covered in fancy linkages you could hardly see it, > and the vacuum-hose map under the hood was...intense. More > complicated than the Vanagon cooling system piping. They had staged > thermostatic vacuum valves with four or five ports sticking out all > over and other such goodies. I think there was some altitude > compensation in there somewhere as well. > > And even after a recall they still couldn't get rid of a > part-throttle hesitation. Other than that it worked great but it was > ridiculously complex. > > Yours, > David >