Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Aug 2013 08:01:16 -0400
From:         Mike B <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bad fuel economy (solution)
Comments: To: Todd Last <Rubatoguy@comcast.net>

And also that using corn for fuel means less is used for food and food products, which raises the cost of food!

As I said, "all-around bad deal!"

Mike B.

On 8/31/2013 7:43 AM, Todd Last wrote: > You forgot to add the benefit is primarily to the corn producing > agriculture states. > > > On 8/30/2013 8:39 PM, Mike B wrote: >> I don't see how adding ethanol to gasoline could translate to even >> "maybe a little cleaner environment", when the main reason they do it is >> for economical reasons. They water down the gas with something cheaper >> that's not as good as gas, then you get the privilege of paying more for >> it, too! And because it nets less BTU's of energy to your engine, that >> means less miles per gallon of 'fuel' burned, so you end up buying more >> gallons! This also means that you're 'net' burning more 'fuel' in total >> per year. More fuel burned times every vehicle on the road, means >> increased emissions to the atmosphere! All around, a BAD DEAL! >> And yes, 15 percent ethanol will kill many older vehicles, like our >> beloved VW's! I recently heard about one way to help prolong their >> inevitable demise, a fuel additive that uses enzymes to eat the ethanol >> and clean out the gunk left in the fuel system; >> >> http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/ >> >> Mike B. >> >> >> On 8/30/2013 10:43 PM, JRodgers wrote: >>> Over tiome that difference begins to add up in dollars and cents. AND >>> what's worse - it's a false economy on fuel pricing. The only place we >>> do gain is MAYBE a little cleaner environment - but we are paying more >>> for less. Maybe the diesel folks have it right - even at higher fuel >>> prices. >>> >>> I'm concerned about a move towards more alcohol in the fuel. At 15% it >>> will kill most vintage cars like Vanagons. >>> >>> John >>> >>> On 8/30/2013 9:19 PM, KIM BRENNAN wrote: >>>> FWIW, I've seen (across 7 cars) a 10% reduction in fuel economy for >>>> the gas with 10% alcohol. >>>> Only in my camper was it a 20% reduction. >>>> This evening I confirmed, that with 10% alcohol gas, the fuel economy >>>> is only 11-12mpg, as opposed to 15-16mpg on pure gas. >>>> >>>> >>>> On Aug 30, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Timmy Evens <monkey_lips@YAHOO.COM> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>>> the btu's in a gallon of 10 % ethanol isn't much different than >>>>> straight gas. would not attribute to alcohol. maybe maybe bad O2 >>>>> sensor? >>>>> >>>>> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android >>>>> >>>>> >>>> >> >