Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Aug 2013 11:25:51 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacement of coolant temp sensor (help needed)
Comments: To: David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>

hi david, are there grooves for the clip to engage in, or not ? they break sometimes..seen it lots actually.

it's pretty basic ...o-ring sits in the bottom of the tubular hole, somewhat compressed. it's held there by the sender. the sender is held in place by the clip, which must engagein two grooves.

that's the only way it can work. if it won't do that, either something is broken, or it's the wrong part/s, or it's Technician Error.

it pays to do whatever is needed to get good visual and arm/hands access , particularly if it's not something you've done a few times before. And good light ! Heck ....it's quite hard, visually , to work on cars or vanagons in bright light, quite often. Be a 'surgeon' and get into the micro-level of what you doing, with good visual accessand hands/arms.

I seethis a lot ....people trying to work on something and they can't quite see or tell what they are doing .. when what is causing that issue is they did not jack up the van, or clear out the area they are working on to they can see what they are doing. It takes a while to train the brain to really 'see' ...to know what you are looking at. It's a simple thing..only fits together right one way, fortunately.

On 8/31/2013 11:09 AM, David M wrote: > I'm trying to replace the coolant temp sensor (temp gauge sensor - black connector) in my van. > By that I mean reinstall the original sensor which popped out when I inadvertently removed the clip. > > I pushed the unit back in the hole and reinstalled the clip but then I noticed it had a lot of wiggle and I was easily able to pull it out. What is going on here? Looking at the unit I see no groove for the clip to catch on to. > Either I am missing some part that fell off or I am doing something wrong. The only thing I can think of is the o-ring must not be pushed all the way back and the clip holds between the unit and the o-ring. But I don't see how this would prevent the unit coming off? The other possibility is the coolant temp sensor and temp II sensor clips are not interchangeable and I got them mixed up (they looked the same to me). > > I hope someone can answer soon as I wanted to get this done this morning and refill the coolant before it hits 100 degrees here in AZ. > > > David (1987 Wolfsbug, currently coolant-less) > > > > ________________________________ >