Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:21:36 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: camp stoves outside but connected

Well, if others are chatting about cooking, then I might as well.

In cold weather I tend to favor stews, broths, soups. For those I use a small pressure cooker, inside. Sometimes I put it on top of my kerosene heater, which I use outside, if I want the cooker to run at just below "lunch whistle in Scranton PA" level. Breakfasts will be cooked inside, I tend to favor eggs and bacons and similar.

In hot weather I cook outdoors, using a variety of methods: a small charcoal smoker ("Old Smokey"), or a charcoal grill. When fires are restricted I grumble and use a propane barbecue which can be dialed down low enough for smoking, too. I cook breakfasts outdoors on a small butane stove -- the kind that uses butane cans about the size of a large can of spray paint.

Morning coffee and midday hot teas (in cold weather) are normally done indoors year 'round and require nothing more than water heated in a small kettle.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 09/03/2013 12:18 PM, Jim Felder wrote: > Sounds like good eatin' to me. My choice of grill is the cobb ( > http://www.cobbamerica.com/), very versatile and uses very little charcoal. > I cook outside mostly to keep the heat out of the cabin, but grilled food > of course has its own merits. > > Jim > > > On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>wrote: > >> With the family trips of 7 a pound of bacon, a pound of sausage, and then >> either eggs, hash browns, French toast, or pancakes (not every morning >> though). So yes, I am rendering lard! The curtains, canvass, upholstery, >> and fuzz on the top will absorb a lot of vaporized and splattered grease. >> And I hate cleaning the van.**** >> >> ** ** >> >> For dinner I grill the protein and vegetables on my Campfire Grill using >> charcoal, not a campfire. I have both the 18” with the optional charcoal >> pan and the Rebel, and they are great. http://campfiregrill.com/ We eat >> a lot of seafood broken with the occasional rib eye, and sometimes my son >> in law actually catches dinner! Usually Dungeness crab and salmon.**** >> >> ** ** >> >> We always camp along the west coast, and our favorite spot has moorage so >> my son in law and daughter can sail up to join us. We are never far from a >> decent store!**** >> >> ** ** >> >> Stuart**** >> >> *From:* Jim Felder [mailto:jim.felder@gmail.com] >> *Sent:* Tuesday, September 03, 2013 10:56 AM >> *To:* Stuart MacMillan >> *Cc:* Vanagon mailing list >> *Subject:* Re: camp stoves outside but connected**** >> >> ** ** >> >> This is a phenomenon I have not noticed in my 230+ Westy camping trips >> while cooking full meals inside for often five people and sometimes six. >> Are you rendering lard in there or something?**** >> >> ** ** >> >> : )**** >> >> ** ** >> >> JIm**** >> >> ** ** >> >> Frying just coats the inside of the van >> with grease. >> >> **** >> >> ** ** >> >>