Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 2013 05:32:33 -0400
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1991 vanagon - dometic fridge - no light or igniter sound

Kevin, and all others, this is a very common problem with these electronic ignitors that were used on the later Dometic Fridges in the Westys. Here's what I have done to get it working again, and why this happens I have not been able to determine, but this will usually get it back working. Remove the front panel with the door, this gives you access to the wires that connect to the ignitor. At the right, far back of the ignitor module is the red wire with cloth cover that leads to the sparker in the fire box. Using a pair of long needle nose pliers, remove this wire by pulling it straight up and then position it near its terminal (which you will not be able to see so this is guess work) and push the button that turns on the power to the fridge for the propane ignition, it should either turn red or start flickering and you will see a spark jumping from the end of the red wire to the terminal. Now, push the button for either the 12v or 120v operation, reconnect the red wire to its terminal (not easy as you cannot see it, it's a touchy ~ feely kind of operation) then once it's connected push the button for propane operation and it should be working (red light flashing which indicates the sparker is sparking in the firebox). The red light will go out once the propane has been lit and the thermocouple has provided power to shut of the red light. I have no idea why this gets it working again and you may have to do it again in the future. This common malfunction has caused me to not be a big fan of this auto ignitor ! ALSO, if you do not have the red light showing in the first place then there is another problem which is the 12v power is not getting to the module. This problem can be solved by working backwards to the 12v source and find out where it stops and fix that before attempting to do what I've explained above. If all attempts to resolve the problems above fail then the module is faulty and will have to be replaced.

On 2013-09-03, at 10:28 PM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote:

> All, > I tested my 91 dometic fridge this weekend. Using 110 v AC it works fine, I > got the fridge down to the 40's F. I used a number of online resources to > learn how to test the propane side as well and found that the red light does > not turn on and I do not hear the igniter when I push the igniter button. > This was after I cleaned out the little port in front and vacuumed out the > exhaust tube. > > Is it reasonable to conclude that the electronic igniter is not working > since I am not getting a red light and the I cant hear the igniter clicking?

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 06 ~ 09, 2013