Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Sep 2013 21:56:33 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hit a deer today in my Vanagon
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

Get a few quotes from body shops first so you know what kind of damage you're to expect. Keep I mind that you can purchase on the bolt-ons used from list members and/or wrecking yards. Might not be worth your while to make a claim. Then start assembling PURCHASE prices of similar vans for comparables. Last accident I had (not my fault) the other guys insurance company (Progressive) tried to tell me that a Westy and a 7 passenger are the same value, and my Westy was only worth around $2500.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] |On Behalf Of Tom Hargrave |Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 7:36 PM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: Hit a deer today in my Vanagon | |Hopefully they won't try and total the car. | |Thanks, Tom Hargrave |www.kegkits.com |www.stir-plate.com |www.towercooler.com |www.grow-sun.com |www.raspberryproject.com | |-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] |On Behalf Of Richard Koerner |Sent: Friday, September 6, 2013 8:46 PM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Hit a deer today in my Vanagon | |Was up in the Eastern Sierras; a place near Mammoth Ski area.  |Place called June Lake (Gull Lake specifically).  Perfect.  |Went kayaking on lake in afternoon, paddling into wind then |letting wind sail me home. | |So I get up early this am for the long drive home (450 |miles?).  Around 7:30 am.  Empty straight hiway.  Around 45 |MPH, no hurry.  Then....there they were...two of them, small, |young...instantaneous.  Darted out across road; no reaction |time. Missed the first one, hit the second.  Ugh.  Passenger |side.  Smashed lower grill, signal light, tore rubber strip of |passenger side of bumper, mashed license plate, and of course |front end body damage. |No damage to cooling system, thank God.  | | |Drove the 450 miles home.  Now, time to report to insurance |company.  I have $500 deductible I think.  I'm betting this |will be about a $2000 job...not nearly as easy as a fender, |lots of folds and creases in the front end. | |Any words of advice before I call insurance company tomorrow |to start claim process? | |Rich |San Diego |85 Vanagon, 208,000 wonderful miles, original everything |except interior with homemade camper setup.  Not a Westy; a |tintop.  Alpine White.  4 speed tranny.  Everything is in |perfect condition. | |....glum....