Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Sep 2013 19:27:47 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
              ignored.
Comments:     Resent-From: "tom ring" <taring@taring.org>
Comments:     Originally-From: "tom ring" <taring@taring.org>
From:         tom ring <taring@TARING.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Bad fuel economy (solution) Ethanol, LVC

On 1 Sep 2013 at 10:56, Dennis Haynes wrote:

> > Just curious about ethanol and it's base. I have 'heard' that many > other countries use beets or cane to make their ethanol and that those > crops are a lot more effective than subsidized corn, effective at getting > the vehicles moved for the least cost ..Some have said it actually takes > more than a gallon of fuel in the supply chain to produce a gallon of corn > ethanol.at the 'gas' pump. How about the sugar beet or sugar cane type > ethanol? Is that the case there, too? Or is government-subsidized corn > ethanol actually THE best way to make this stuff? >

Many other countries do it in a sane way, producing it from anything except corn with greater efficiency. Sugar cane is much much better.

Yes, it takes more energy to produce a gallon of corn based ethanol fuel than it contaiins, unless things have changed a lot recently. Corn is the least efficient base to use to produce ethanol. It also requires huge amounts of water which we can ill afford to pull from our aquifers. Last I heard it took 100 gallons of water to produce a gallon of corn ethanol, and I don't know if that included the water needed by the fermentation.

Just say no to corn based ethanol fuels, burning food is immoral. And is effectively a regressive tax, impacting the poor and their grocery bills while the more affluent can feel they've helped the environment. When they really haven't.

And we're about to go from 10% to 20% in MN. Thank you ADM and friends.

tom

Never attribute to engineers that into which politicians, lawyers, accountants, and marketeers have poked their fingers. -----------------------------------------