Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:05:39 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Deer whistles--do they work?
Comments: To: Vern in Bend <vernmcintosh@EONI.COM>

OK, now we need to know the ratio between with & without on the road. If half the cars have the whistles then you could argue that they make no difference. But if only 25% have the whistles & the body shop sees 50/50 then you could actually argue that they attract deer, or possibly the drivers with whistles drive more aggressive through deer country!

It's kind of like the old Volvo advertisements. For years Volvo claimed to have the safest car on the road, and they could prove their claim with numbers. Volvo consistently reported less crashes per mile and less deaths per crash than any other major manufacturer and the data was indisputable. Then measurable crash test results came along & Volvo performed far worse than other European models like BMW and Mercedes. When they re-analyzed their data Volvo discovered that a typical VOLVO DRIVER drove safer than other driver!!! It's a classic example of misapplied statistics.

So, do these whistles help with deer? Maybe.

And does a driver with whistles installed drive more boldly? Probably, if he trusts his whistles.

Oh, and I hit a deer about 5 years ago with my S class Mercedes on the interstate in Kentucky and I can tell you that deer bounce at 80 MPH! And no, I wasn't running whistles.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.grow-sun.com www.raspberryproject.com