Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:59:43 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: head studs - when to replace?
Comments: To: Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET>

I suggest looking extra carefully, especially near the bottoms of them, for pitting and corrosion. Like with a magnifying glass even. If it was me ..and they look fairly decent...I'd probably leave well enough alone. I also would be suspicious of the quality of new ones versus the original factory-installed ones.

On 9/10/2013 10:04 AM, Tom Carchrae wrote: > Dear List, > > I decided to skip my 'wishful' thinking test and have proceeded to head > removal and inspection. So far, so good - I have one side stripped down to > all but the head nuts. > > I wanted to know how you determine if a head stud should be replaced? > Clearly if it snaps - but how do you determine that before it snaps? Is > it sufficient to measure them for stretching, or are there other ways to > inspect them, eg, how do you determine if they have twisted - or is that ok? > > I see they are around $8/each - so 8*8*2 - is ~$130 worth spending to > replace them all? No doubt one could spend a lot of money replacing many > things - would you replace the studs or spend the money elsewhere? > > Thanks, > > Tom >