Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Sep 2013 07:16:45 -0700
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Critic

Have to disagree about the status symbol thing, and the mechanical nightmare.  Yes, if you have VC/front differential problems it can be vexing and expensive, but otherwise the expense of  maintaining the Syncro isn't much greater than the 2WD.  I've owned both.  Our Syncro is my wife's daily driver, albeit only serving a 6 mile round trip commute. Daryl at AA Transaxle rebuilt my transmission (very well BTW), and as I recall it doesn't cost  a huge amount more to rebuild the Syncro Transmission over the 2WD. As to the performance in a warm weather climate on the road, I can't scientifically prove an advantage, but I like having the on-demand 4WD available when splashing through the deep water provided by our sudden, Florida style thunder-bursts. I will also add that the more sturdy suspension of the Syncro handles high wind much better than the 2WD suspension.  I immediately noted that the first time I traversed a couple of bridges in the  Syncro when the wind was really blowing hard. Just my humble opinion. Cheers, Anthony (if you want my Syncro you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands) '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo) ________________________________ From: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:13 AM Subject: Re: Syncro Critic I don;t have one - have driven the two-wheel (really one wheel) Vanagon from Alaska in Winter to Florida i Winter and summer. And unless you get off the pavement - a Syncro is just a status symbol and a whole bunch of mechanical nightmare  you don't want. If however you do get off road - they are a whole bunch  nice to have, John On 9/11/2013 12:46 AM, raceingcajun wrote: >    Hello Vanities, > >    One of my Sons hit his head in the shower, and now has an > un-controllable desire to buy a Passat W8. Keep in mind that we live on the > Gulf Coast. No snow/ice, winter temps are in the high 30's low 40's and the > last time we had a wisp of snow was in 1997. Also he lives in town, never > get of the cement or goes off road mud riding. Worst driving conditions > heavy rains, some fog. >    Now with that back ground in mind. What I'm looking for is a general > users critic of the Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro system, its mechanic's and > driving idiosyncrasy's. General cost of maintenance, etc. >    So wipe off those crystal balls and lets have your learned opinion good > and bad! > > Thanks in Advance > > Howard >