Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Sep 2013 07:44:59 -0400
From:         Frank Condelli <ralanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Critic

Well, your son certainly needs to recover. Do your research on the lovely W8 and that should keep you from purchasing one. Just Google that engine and see what comes up, it's amazing ! My daughter has one and well it's had its share of problems. They only built some 1500 or 1800 of these engines and getting parts is almost impossible. AND, who is going to work on it ? NO-ONE ! Luckily for my daughter her husband is a resourceful mechanic and has been able to keep it alive. She loves it, so maybe there are some saving graces about it, mostly the Deluxe factor I'm guessing. When the Comfort Control Module under the drivers seat gets wet because of leaks it will get toasted and getting a new one is pretty much out of the question and getting a used one is impossible as each one was built for the specific car it was put it, no two alike ! How do you like them apples ? MY daughter's in Watsonville California and if you or your son would like to communicate with her I can set that up. The Syncro system is not the problem, it's the ENGINE and ELECTRONICS that are the problems ! So why not try to find one with a TDi engine, MUCH, MUCH better !

On 2013-09-11, at 6:13 PM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote:

> Hello Vanities, > > One of my Sons hit his head in the shower, and now has an > un-controllable desire to buy a Passat W8. Keep in mind that we live on the > Gulf Coast. No snow/ice, winter temps are in the high 30's low 40's and the > last time we had a wisp of snow was in 1997. Also he lives in town, never > get of the cement or goes off road mud riding. Worst driving conditions > heavy rains, some fog. > Now with that back ground in mind. What I'm looking for is a general > users critic of the Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro system, its mechanic's and > driving idiosyncrasy's. General cost of maintenance, etc. > So wipe off those crystal balls and lets have your learned opinion good > and bad!

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 06 ~ 09, 2013