Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:21:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: request for information, please
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Adapting the engine to a DK trans in a Vanagon body is very straightforward, as VW already did that with their own inline 4 diesel vanagon.

the parts are readily available, generally speaking, in 1982 or 83 versions. Just get the right diesel vanagon parts .. and it is pure bolt-in. It could be done without welding one part even, if one had to.

VW already did the work .. DV bell housing, starter, flywheel, clutch , trans input shaft. DV engine mounting system ...large aluminum engine brackets, cradle bars, rubber mounts, misc hardware. DV oil pan and oil pump DV cooling system hoses and parts .. this is all bolt-in stuff that will put an inline 4 engine, gas or diesel , into any vanagon. Conveniently VW used the exactsame block architecture from 1975 to 1998. Every inline four, gas or diesel , up to 1998 ..bolts right in. ( not certain on the gags ones....93 16V bolts right up ...in diesel 98 AHU tdi bolts right up )

And all the diesel vanagon parts fit right on the block and crankshaft too. Kinda a no-brainer even. Just bolt the right parts together.

air box ...need to come up with something there, and there are many from other cars that work just fine.

an 8 valve 1.8...cheap and plentiful. I'm sure Don will chime in.

that would be a decent all-VW not too expensive engine conversion to an air-cooled vanagon .. ao 1.8 or 2.0 inline four gas VW golf/jetta engine.

On 9/12/2013 12:02 PM, neil n wrote: > For me, in a nutshell.... > > '81 air cooled Westy to water cooled Jetta engine. Zero regrets. Way > lower emissions, better fuel efficiency, and I can easily hold 50 MPH > in 3rd (stock tires, WBX tranny) up steep-ish grades. But..... > > >From the POV of an enthusiast who's learned a lot since he did his > swap..... ;) > > Though the cooling system install wasn't all that involved, adapting > the engine was. There may be more Suby guys who have done this than > VAG swaps. > > Check the Suby yahoo group. There was a fellow there who did the air > cooled swap and posted a bunch of useful info. This at least 4 years > ago. I also run an email list. There may be some who've done the air > to water cooled swap there. (see link below) > > I'm quite happy with my swap. > > Neil. > > > > On 9/12/13, Fuhrel, Robert <robert.fuhrel@csn.edu> wrote: > >> Greetings, I just got the bad news (maybe good news in the long run) that >> the engine in my air-cooled '83 Westy is old and worn out, one cylinder >> shot, and so on, and the mechanic, new to me, who seems honest and has a >> great reputation in my new town of Lakeland, Florida, recommends getting a >> different engine. >> So, I am asking list members if anyone knows someone in the Tampa-Lakeland >> (Orlando only if necessary, please) area who can put a different engine in, >> and what should I get if I can? I almost certainly can't afford a Porsche >> engine though I've heard that is possible, but it must entail all kinds of >> other modifications, probably transmission and so on. I also know vaguely >> that Subaru swaps can be done but know nothing about which Subaru engines >> would work. Perhaps another VW engine would be fine, but I'd like a little >> more power than what I've had all these years, something that would allow me >> to go faster than 35mph on hills (though Florida has few, > >> Bob >> > > -- > Neil n > > Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca > > '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: > > http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej >