Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:47:49 -0500
From:         Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: request for information, please

On Sep 12, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MYMTS.NET> wrote:

> Robert, I am not handy and it sounds like you might not be either :) I always have a professional work on my car. It was always suggested to me that anything non-standard will only cause grief if you need service while travelling. I think that was good advice.

I disagree.

Truthfully, any van, stock or not, could cause you grief if you need service while traveling. It all depends on where you break down and the nature of your problem. These are 30 year old peculiar vehicles, and no one outside of Vanagon specialty shops really understands them. Dealerships might take your van into their shop if it's a stock van, but that doesn't mean they'll know what they're doing when they work on it. These days, capably done conversions are as likely to increase the reliability of your rig, meaning you'll be less likely to see the inside of a repair shop.

As for not being handy, that doesn't mean you can't learn a modicum of basic info about your rig. If you have difficulty keeping track of that kind of information, then write it down. You should know or have access to things like how much oil your van needs, and what type. What kind of engine and transmission do you have? What's the problem and service history? Are there known, unaddressed issues? How old is the battery, alternator, starter, and fuel pump? Is maintenance done regularly? As an advanced skill, learn to identify all the major parts in your engine compartment, even if you can't fix them or even know what exactly they do.

Carry a Bentley. Open it and look at the pictures occasionally.

Going back to Robert's original question regarding conversions, first decide your budget. If your cash is tight, it may be worth it just to put in a rebuilt aircooled engine and be done with it. That will always be your cheapest short-term option. If you're looking to get many more years and miles out of the van, the higher cost of a conversion becomes more sensible, and will yield other advantages, including improved reliability and of course increased power. Be aware, however, that since you would be converting from an aircooled, the process will be trickier, as you (or the installer) will have to be able to install a complete water-cooling system for the engine. It's not an impossible roadblock, but something to be aware of.

-Jarrett 89 Bostig'd Westy.