Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 2013 12:58:23 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: request for information, please
Comments: To: Mike B <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

IF I recall correctly - statistically ALL of the VW opposed four cyl engine failures have a tendency to fail in some relation to the #3 cylinder more than anywhere else in the engine. Yes - it does fail elsewhere - more often in relation to #3 - swallowed valves, burn pistons, thrown rod. Not always - but more often than not. The type-2 air-cooled engines were bad enough but the later pancake air-cooled engines found in the Vanagons were the worst of that lot.That tendency was reduced when VW started putting out the Wasserboxer engines - BUT - it still happens - and my last engine failure - ' OL' RED - my 88 GL with a 2.1L engine burned a piston clear through, damaging the head, the cylinder barrel, the piston and the rod, and putting metal all through the engine. Fortunately it didn't throw a rod, so the case and crank was salvageable.

I would obtain a decent engine, run it a while - then sell it off and get a later Van with the 2.1L WBX engine or a good conversion.

Once you have run water-cooled and have the luxery of plenty of heat or airconditioning - you won't want anything less.

John

On 9/13/2013 8:57 AM, Mike B wrote: > These air-cooled engines in this application are already overstressed > and run very hot; look at their well-known history of dropped valves, > seats and cracked heads. I wouldn't hesitate to build up a modified > 2.-whatever Type4 (and have!) for use in a Beetle of Karmann Ghia > application with upright cooling tins. > But having owned, driven, rebuilt and modified several of these > engines and VW busses of all types from splitties to WBX Vanagon > Campers, I can say with extensive experience that it's not good to > expect more out of a 2-liter aircooled engine in a Vanagon. They are > under-powered and over-stressed, which is the fact that forced VW into > adopting the WBX for that application. I love the power, speed and > acceleration of my 2.1WBX engine in my '87 Westy GL. It just eclipses > my previous busses in every way..... > > YMMV, > Mike B. > > On 9/13/2013 9:46 AM, David Bjorkman wrote: >> If you are worried about more power, the air cooled 2.0 engine is >> prime for upgrading for extra power. One does not have to do major >> work also (like going to bigger pistons). A port and polish and some >> intake/exhaust work will increase power and not cost a lot if doing a >> rebuild. Cam and the like can be done also if you like, but does put >> extra work on the motor. >> Dave B. >> On 09/12/13, Dennis Haynes<d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >> The most reasonable approach will most likely be repairing or >> replacing your >> engine in like kind. Any step into a water cooled engine will become very >> expensive fast just due to the labor involved unless you can do it >> yourself. >> Not only do you need to install the cooling system you need to >> consider the >> heating-defrosting system even though you are in Florida. If you do >> decide >> to go the water cooled route the Waterboxers will bolt right in with just >> some metal trimming and a spacer for the tin at the rear. Replacing the >> transmission with a waterboxer one and drilling new holes for the rear >> engine carrier will even take care of the rear spacer thing. You can even >> use the air cooled engine management and ignition if you choose to. >> >> Other options include selling yours as is and using that money plus >> what you >> would spend on the repairs to get a later Vanagon. 87 and later for the >> better AC systems. >> >> Dennis >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >> Behalf Of >> Fuhrel, Robert >> Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:13 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >> Subject: request for information, please >> >> Greetings, I just got the bad news (maybe good news in the long run) that >> the engine in my air-cooled '83 Westy is old and worn out, one cylinder >> shot, and so on, and the mechanic, new to me, who seems honest and has a >> great reputation in my new town of Lakeland, Florida, recommends >> getting a >> different engine. He said I could drive this around town but that it >> might >> do more damage and would be running on only 75% power. >> I've had the Vanagon for eighteen years, all in Las Vegas, where a >> superb, >> fast, inexpensive and honest mechanic named Robert Madrid kept it >> going all >> that time. It is in overall excellent shape. >> So, I am asking list members if anyone knows someone in the >> Tampa-Lakeland >> (Orlando only if necessary, please) area who can put a different >> engine in, >> and what should I get if I can? I almost certainly can't afford a Porsche >> engine though I've heard that is possible, but it must entail all >> kinds of >> other modifications, probably transmission and so on. I also know vaguely >> that Subaru swaps can be done but know nothing about which Subaru engines >> would work. Perhaps another VW engine would be fine, but I'd like a >> little >> more power than what I've had all these years, something that would >> allow me >> to go faster than 35mph on hills (though Florida has few, from LV to >> anywhere I went up and down many hills no faster than that.) Any >> information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! >> >> Best, >> >> Bob >