Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:34:52 -0400
From:         Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Friday, Karma and AT Fluid

Listers,

Friday post,

I'm grateful that generally I live with exceptionally good luck around me. Without it I suspect life as a blind person would be even more eventful.

I returned from Busses by the Buoy with many tips for bus care. The most important being to be sure the AT fluid was up at the correct level I keep all fluids on hand so this should be a easy and safe task. When I first brought this bus home I went to the auto parts store and picked up fluids. I had a list based on recommendations from list members and such. One thing I asked for was AT fluid . I explained exactly what it was for and the gentleman handed me all the supplies. I left the store with guide dog in one hand and plastic bag jauntily swinging in the other. How could I know that pending doom was just around the corner.

I was planning to have my helpful non mechanical girlfriend top off the AT fluid. At the last moment I called a friend and suggested we go for a ride and then top it off. I showed him the AT fluid with the helpful tiny end perfect for filling through the dip stick whole. And, he then explained, gulp, that I had been given Gear oil! Now I don't know how bad that would be but I am sure it would not be good to put the wrong fluid in the transmission then run it for many miles.

This incident makes me appreciate even more the tips and detailed explanations I get from this list.

I have been very lucky with such diverted disasters and am hoping the good karma continues! I'm glad I don't need to make a post asking what this will do to my currently nicely working transmission.

Heres wishing you all a little extra good luck with your bus care

Eric Caron 85 Westfalia GL auto