Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:43:13 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why Bigger Brakes Was Cause of brake rotor warping
Comments: To: Ben <syncro@gmail.com>

Well, it's my understanding the jake brakes on trucks are engine-speed dependent. So, the truck is shifted to a gear that spins the engine at maximum effective braking speeds (using the jake brake)...I could be wrong, since I have never driven a big rig nor ridden in one descending a grade.

The truckers in Mexico are not required to have noise suppressors on their truck brakes, I don't think.. When one comes to a complete stop with the Jake Brake still on, it sounds like a jackhammer...The logging trucks around my house, they like to bypass their jake brake mufflers and wake us all up as they descend out of the woods at daybreak ( beginning around 3:30am in high summer) using their gears and compression (or "Jake" in slang) brakes to control their speed.

Wiki is sort of right, I guess...but my Ford turbo diesel powerstroke diesel has plenty of engine braking....No, it does not 'create' intake vacuum...it has a vacuum pump to power- assist the brakes. But it still engine brakes....I've towed an 18,000lb load, in the Ford turbo diesel, over Sonora Pass in the Sierras and descended in a very low gear without using much brake pedal at all......no jake brake either...