Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Sep 2013 18:03:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mobil1 15-50 and setting a new piston ring
Comments: To: Paul Rogers <wognacious@GMAIL.COM>

lol... I really hope your guy did a fine good job. that's sure not the case sometimes though.

this 2.1 I am going through entirely right now..had about one year on a rebuild, and it was puking oil, like pushing it out . Theguy who owned that van kept saying ....this mechanic is trained in Germany .......30 years experience.. VW certified etc. etc. etc. How could he make mistakes ???

that's the engine, freshly assembled from the crankshaft up, about a year ago, with quite a few mistakes in it. The rods were way out of spec, the crankshaft timing gear was out of round, there was foreign object damage on top of one new piston.. cam lobes were worn out. and other things. That 'rebuilt' engine was a joke.

On 9/8/2013 5:47 PM, Paul Rogers wrote: > Let me try and fill in some of the blanks. The guy who sold me the block is a mechanic, I believe him. He was a Vanagon owner and bought this engine new. The block still has a parts number sticker on it. It was using a lot of oil so he pulled it and put in another one he had. Fixed this one, I should have asked more questions but I didn't. He said it was a bad ring, he fixed it but never used it. He also said it had about 900 miles on it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. > Thanx for reading and your help too, > Paul in Tracy > > Sent from my iPad > > On Sep 8, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> Defenitely don't use a synthetic oil for break-in. >> There is even is 'Engine Break-In Oil Additve, with Zinc-Plus, by Lucas oil products Inc. >> I use that with a very ordiaary oil for break-in. >> >> 'fixed the ring problem' .......exactly what does that mean ? >> all new rings and hone the barrels ..? >> that 'could' be a viable repair. >> >> The subject line makes it sound like 'one piston ring' may have been replaced. >> if so ....if one finally failed or broke say ...everything would be pretty tired anyway , needing more than just a ring or two. >> >> I am highly skeptical of engines that other people have repaired or 'rebuilt.' >> Two 1.9 wbxr engines come immediately to mind..both advertised at 'rebuilt' and they were an extreme joke, needing to be completely gone through again . >> that reminds me of a 2.1 wbxr engine out of a nice syncro ...same thing ...'rebuilt' and about 8 serious mistakes in it. I'm not exaggerating either. >> >> I hope that's not the case in your case.. >> I can almost say I see more bad work than good work on vanagon engines. >> Never use an exotic oil like a synthetic for break-in on new rings. >> >> I hope you get 'er right Paul ! >> Scott >> >> >> On 9/8/2013 4:03 PM, Paul Rogers wrote: >>> Hey Listies, >>> I finally got my 2.1L long block with components from my 1.9L finished and It's Alive! It actually works much to my amazement. I'm in the process of dialing it in now. I've got the timing pretty close for now and I'm attempting to bleed the cooling system. One thing I'm a little concerned about is the amount of blue smoke. I haven't run it for longer than about 10 mins or so and that wasn't all at the same time. The guy I bought the long block from said he had it in his Vanagon but took it out because it was using a lot of oil. He said he fixed the problem ring but never used it again. I've got Mobil1 15-50 in it and I've read several posts on the Samba that the ring won't seat with synthetic oil in. In fact I've read that I can do some serious damage to the cylinder by causing it to glaze over and the ring will never seat. Can someone please verify this for me. The engine is running sweet, sounds good too. But it is spewing blue smoke, I figured it would but I have no idea what a r >>> easonable time it should take to stop smoking. Any input from the brain trust of the list will be gratefully appreciated. I don't want to do something wrong at this point. >>> TIA, >>> Paul in Tracy >>> >>> >>> Sent from my iPlace