Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Sep 2013 10:05:28 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Deer whistles--do they work?
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

My carpenter - an old gentleman who lived out in one of Alabama's more rural counties, - was going home one evening in the fall and decided to take a short cut he knew - down a dirt road that was a bit more logging trail than road. The road cut through a hill resulting in a bit of a cliff right next to the road. His old truck was a rattlety-clunk bit of a ride and as he drove by, he felt - and heard - a big "whump" but paid no heed, thinking he had hit something in the road and the truck just groaned a bit more than usual from the impact. When he got home it was very dark, but there a light on at the porch, just sufficient for him not see to walk to the house, but not into his truck bed. He reached in to grab his tool box, and felt hair! He got out his flashlight, and there he found a dead doe - which apparently jumped off the embankment as he passed, crashed into the bed of the truck and broke it's neck. Easy venison that night.

John

On 9/8/2013 9:24 AM, ralph meyermann wrote: > Hilarious! I think there are too many variables for how they are made,speed > of travel and air flow characteristics where they are mounted. I can see > how they can work but not 100% sold on. I think the best way is > thinning/managing the herd to help prevent such incidents, help prevent the > spread of sickness/disease amongst them, confirming my place on the food > chain while putting my wit and abilities against these cunning but > sometimes stupid animals ,, putting meat in my freezer. My daughter cant > seem to get enough venison. Multiple ways are needed to reduce these > incidents. My fuel efficient Hyundai was totaled by a doe early this > summer, sadly I did not have any implement other than my daughter's > softball bat to put it down which I refrained from ( she did not need to > see that) and it hobbled off and got away from me before the sheriff came. > Velma 82 1.9L AAZ td westy > On Sep 8, 2013 6:59 AM, "J Stewart" <fonman4277@comcast.net> wrote: > >> LOL, I've heard that question asked many, many times and I've never heard >> found anyone who could give a definitive answer. I've seen cars in my area >> with 10 of the things mounted across the front bumper. I know people who >> absolutely swear they work because they've never hit a deer with one on the >> front of their car. But then I drove for 35 years before hitting my first >> deer. My daughter took just six months after getting her license to hit >> one. In my area (Loudoun County, Virginia) I see several each day that have >> been hit and many, many more that have not. I am very much against animal >> cruelty, but not when it come to these damn things. As a motorcyclist they >> pose a serious threat to my safety. In many areas the population of deer >> have spiraled out of control, and mine is one of them. I don't hunt, but >> I'm seriously considering it. Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- >>> On 9/8/2013 12:06 AM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: >>>> My son hit a deer the first time he borrowed my '84 Westy about 20 >>>> years >>>> ago. No problem getting the insurance company to fix it back then. I >>>> wonder if these "deer whistles" actually work? >>>> http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4050 >>>> < >> http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4050&category_id=&category_pa >>>> rent_id> &category_id=&category_parent_id= >>>> >>>> I did run with them for a long time after my son's incident, but I >>>> wonder. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Stuart >>> Steven Wright(comedian) once said he accidentally mounted his deer >>> whistles backwards on his vehicle and the next day he was driving and >>> looked in the rear view mirror and he had a heard of deer following >>> him >>> down the road......... >>> As to your question, I used them"after the fact" when I hit a deer >>> with >>> my old '79 Breadloaf and never had another encounter. I found a pair >>> of >>> deeer whistles in the bottom of an auction flat a few years ago where >>> the PO had mounted the whistles on magnetic mounts. Must've been some >>> time ago since there aren't many metal bumpers out there these >>> days..... >>> DM&FS >> >