Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Sep 2013 21:22:48 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: An Engine Conversion Begins-Mixed Emotions!
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

There's no turning the head around on the block if that's what you mean .. the bolts patter would turn around, but oil holes , both feed and return.

and ...intake manifolds for 16V's anyway ....come in two versions.. one that the throttle body at the flywheel end of the engine .. the other version has it at the timing belt end of the engine.

either will work depending on how you want to lay things out. One plan I have it to use parts of one to extend the runners of the other one. by cutting and aluminum welding.

longer intake runners promote low end power ....... though I don't think this would lower the top of the engine .

On 9/17/2013 7:38 PM, Don Hanson wrote: > You might take a look at TWM industries,,, Now Borla induction > http://www.borlainduction.com/ website... I think I recall they have a > set-up that might be usable on VWs...I used their products (throttle > bodies, linkage, velocity stacks, etc..) on my racecar...adapted 8 throttle > bodies and some fancy injectors to make about 575hp out of my 'german > corvette' motor..a 928 Porsche. > > The thing about making a lot more HP from an EFI motor is that you have > to do something to the engine management computer before you can realize > any power gains from the rest of the traditional modifications that are the > same as ever...more fuel, more air, better movement of those and a matching > ignition curve to enhance your better breathing motor.. > > If your idea was to just fab up something that fits under the Vanagon > deck....that shouldn't be too difficult. One of my competators in another > 928 used an intake plenum he made from carbon fiber and a larger single > throttlebody for his power... > > Wonder if you could just turn the ABA cross flow head around backwards so > the intake came out on the proper side without too much work...Hmmmm. > > > > > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > >> It's funny, in my mind's eye I see a pic of custom made intake runners >> (plain tube) running I into plenum. A VW vortex post perhaps. >> >> Just talking out of my donkey, it seems possible and relatively simple to >> do. >> >> Alistair >> >> >> On 2013-09-17, at 4:34 PM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> hey Alistair I'd speculated that some kind of hybrid using a cutndown >>> ABA lower plenum and counterflow intake might work. >>> >>> might...... ;) >>> >>> I got to the point of buying an old CIS intake ( price was right) but >>> went no further. >>> >>> >>> >>>